Friday, July 12, 2013

major blogging issues

It may be time for me to say farewell to Blogger, which saddens me and is also going to be a new learning curve as I will have to set up a blog on another site, probably Wordpress.

The posting function on Blogger is not working at the Cardiff Library as of last week.  After doing some online sleuthing, my understanding of it is that Blogger will only work now on the newest Internet Explorer and it appears the library is running on an older version and, I've been told, won't be changed for 10 months or so.

I will try and speak to someone else at the library before I change. I don't think I'll be able to import my old blogs with me when I change to the new site. It can be done; I believe the content is done in a straightforward manner but to import the photos or media you have to download an app -- and again, working out of the public library doesn't allow me to download anything foreign onto their machines. And importing my content without the photos doesn't make any sense.

As a consumer and a user, and not a technogeek, you assume these postings will go on forever in cyberspace, but apparently not. I don't want to drop the blog -- it is a creative outlet for me -- but it is also nice having everything in storage and with retrospective. I'm not sure how long Blogger will keep my blogs around once I switch and stop inputting into my present site -- another thing I will have to find out.

I'm doing this on the computer at work which runs on Chrome, which Blogger is OK with now, but I can only be on this computer for a few minutes and there is not much privacy, so it is not a real option.

1 comment: