Saturday, February 11, 2012

seesaw

2012 has been a seesaw of events and emotions so far. Up, down, up, down, up ....

I officially became 'under contract' in the housekeeping department of the international hotel chain in which I have worked for more than a year and a quarter as of Jan. 1st. Three times before this date I had been told the contract would begin on the 1st, yet after working the holiday New Year's Day, I was informed that in actuality my contract hadn't been signed yet by management and I wouldn't be getting paid double holiday pay. DOWN ...

'Casual' employees don't get paid extra here in the U.K. for holidays, and it is one of the chief advantages of going on contract. Being under contract has its drawbacks as I lose about one-twelfth of my hourly wage -- about 70 pence an hour: the extra 70 cents as a casual is actually holiday pay. On my tight budget this eliminates my actual spending money for the most part, though in the long run it balances out with some benefits. In the past, if I took any holidays I wasn't paid at all for the time off. Basically now the holiday pay is spread out so when I take time off I still get a paycheque. This will make things easier in the long run. Also, the longer I'm here the fewer bigger purchases I need for my flat and the better I am at knowing where to buy things, so my spending is not as high.

However, when I received my paycheque in January, it turns out that the finance department apparently saw the contract differently than my manager and they began my contract at the first of the year; so, I am entitled to the extra pay and extra day. UP ...

I had been making plans to go to N. America for two weeks in early July to attend the fireworks at my brother Kelly's house and see a lot of people I haven't seen in at least two years. Then, unexpectedly we were told at the hotel that they didn't want anyone to take holidays in July or August because of Olympic 2012 commitments. So, here was another swing down on the seesaw. DOWN ... Fortunately, again, when I went in to discuss it with my department I found the holiday ban began in the middle of July and my plans were approved. UP ...

More good news as my brother Kelly and his wife informed me that they will likely come to visit me and see some of Wales when Kelly goes to Germany in May on a business trip! This is wonderful, wonderful news. HOLDING UP, UP, UP ...

As a contract employee I am tied to more regulations on when I can take my holidays and we are required to take one of our weeks before the end of April. This is not, weatherwise, the best time of year, nor is it the best time financially, as the big heating bill is due in mid-March. Europe and the U.K. have been in the midst of an unusual deep freeze for several weeks which has me and many people concerned about the heating bills, as gas went up 18% in the past year. DOWN ... As well as bankers being under attack for bonuses, the Big Six energy companies in the U.K. are beginning to feel a little heat from an organized campaign with some big backers such as The Independent.

I originally thought I would be eligible for two to three weeks holidays. As it turns out I have four weeks holidays and nine bank holidays! This is good news as my primary reason for being here is to see some of Europe and more of Wales. After my two weeks in Canada and the U.S. in July and a week in March, I will still have a week and more in which to hopefully take short trips. UP ...

I am concerned about the financial implications of a week off in March but have some UK funds yet as a buffer. So, for the price of £79 I am taking a mini-cruise on the weekend of March 2 to France! It will be my first landing in Europe, not counting landing at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport. It is actually costing me £109 as I have to pay a single premium and the cost does not include food on the cruise, so I will still have to watch my spending. However, it does include a coach ride to Portsmouth (haven't been) to catch a large, grand-looking ferry for a night's cruise to St. Malo, France, a day in St. Malo, a night's return cruise to Portsmouth and several hours in Bath (haven't been) before arriving back in Cardiff. UP, UP, UP ...

Last November on Fright Night I won a night's B&B at a sister hotel. Originally the voucher was for a very grand country hotel, which unfortunately is in the middle of nowhere and rather difficult for me to get to, as well as there being nothing for me to do once I got there. I was fortunate in that Human Resources was able to switch the voucher so I could use it in Swansea, one of my favourite places for a day getaway. The voucher is only good until May and I had been hoping to use it closer to my birthday in late April, but I was informed there are many restrictions as to when it can be used and I should use it before the end of March.  DOWN ... Again, thwarted -- though only temporarily. As I was taking the first week off in March anyway, and only using three days of it to be away, I was able to get the OK to use my voucher on the Monday night of March 5th (when the hotel has openings and I won't be taking away a room from a paying guest). UP ...

Up, up, as things taking shape. Then, online to doublecheck rail times for Swansea to find out that rail prices have DOUBLED -- not only since last year, but since mid-January when I was online checking. DOWN WITH A THUD ... I had read of hikes of up to 10 per cent, but not double. Even now online I cannot find anything discussing this disproportionate hike, except something to the extent that the rail companies were only tied to an average -- hence higher hikes spread kamikaze-like throughout the network. So now, my favourite daytrip, which used to only cost a little more than an hour's wage for a return ticket, now is going to cost more than two hours' wages. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

I'm not certain of the premise for this posting. In many ways my job is getting easier and my position feels stronger. Today I have been offered a slight change in job, working one day a week or so as a house porter, which promises a solid 8 hour day and an easier workload. UP .... I am feeling solid muscle where I may never have felt muscle before in my life. I feel options opening up and they are. Opportunities have also been meeting obstacles, primarily financial ones, but not only financial ones. Flexibility is key. As is getting off the damn teeter totter. As is switching to the swing and letting any downward momentum push me into the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment