Friday, January 6, 2012

patagonia

For some reason I have watched programs on the Welsh TV channel for four days in a row, despite the fact that all the programs I watched were in Welsh. Well, I know the reason -- the programs during the last week were of particular interest, despite only two of them being subtitled in English. It fills that inexplicable need in me to know about this country and its people and to hear the language in full force.

Often S4C will show the same programs, sometimes subtitled, and other times only in the native Welsh. The first program was a documentary about the Swiss village in which famous Welsh son Richard Burton lived for more than thirty years. It fortunately was subtitled and hinted at a dark tragedy that was dramatized in another film made on the relationship between Burton and his eldest brother, a TV film I haven't yet seen.

The second night I was flipping through channels and saw that the actor Rhys Ifans was the subject of a 'documentary'. Ifans has long been one of my favourite actors, and I'm sure that like Welshman Michael Sheen, he was a favourite before I even knew he was from Wales. Strange that is. Unfortunately this program was not subtitled but I watched it anyway just to get my Ifans fix and see him as himself, which I had never had the opportunity to do before. I believe Welsh-as-a-first-language speakers find deep delight and solace in being able to converse in their native tongue, despite their exquisite professional use of the English language. Ifans was interviewed on set of the latest Spiderman film as well, apparently, on some land he seems to own in Michigan (!) -- which I gathered only because the word 'Michigan' is the same in English and Welsh.

The third night I watched the Welsh-produced film Patagonia, released last year and a UK entry for an Oscar as best-foreign film. This showing, unlike one a few days before, had subtitles in English and Welsh (for the sections of the film in Spanish). The film takes place in Patagonia, Argentina and in Wales and was quite good. The acting, cinematography, music and editing were top-notch. The acting in particular was uniformly strong, with a young Argentine, Nahuel Perez Biscayart, being particularly riveting.

And last night a variety program highlighted performances by Welsh pop artists -- of course, with no subtitles. A pudgy, pudding of a man, appearing to be in his late 60s, began to sing in a fascinating voice that sounded thirty years younger and upon reflection reminded me of a catchy, bluesy Bob Dylan. I learned today, upon looking up Meic Stevens online that he has been considered a Welsh Dylan over a long career. In his younger photos he has the look of a John Lennon. Amazing how age changes appearances, but his voice is vibrant and infectious. Apparently, he has held court with the best and was drinking with Jimi Hendrix the last night of his life. The world is full of so much talent. Mr. Stevens has found a long-lost youthful love who was sent to Canada years ago and apparently now resides in Vancouver.

Post note: S4C presented the Rhys Ifans interviews with English subtitles since the original post. Ifans does not own land in Michigan. He was in Ann Arbor filming a Judd Apatow film and following that he was interviewed at a lakefront home in Michigan rented by the Welsh media crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment