Saturday, August 27, 2011

brains, please

Brains Brewery on the River Taff

Brewery as seen from a side street

Anyone who knows me, knows very little beer has ever passed my lips. This is definitely a waste in the U.K. where it is the drink of choice for millions. Cardiff has its own local brewery Brains, which as you can imagine, has borne forth many clever advertising slogans such as 'You need Brains' 'Its Brains you want.'

I've always found beer too bitter for my taste, but I have been told before and recently that I should give a good stout a try. Plus, there are actually nutritives in a stout, they say. I've tried Guinness before and found it smooth. Last week I went into a local bar/cafe The Pear Tree, asked if they had Guinness, found out they didn't but they recommended Brains Black. With half a pint being cheaper than a cheap coffee, I can see why so many flock to the pubs.

I liked Brains Black so much I've had three in the last week. Wow! Don't worry though, it's only the flush of first love. And I may cheat soon and try Brains Dark.

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy when beer is cheaper than coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was shocked. A latte averages just under £2, a regular coffee a little less. Half a pint of the Brains Black at the Peartree was around £1.50. It was 25 cents less again at my local, which is a Brains franchise. Half a pint is more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete