Thursday, June 23, 2011

cardiff singer of the world

When I first saw the street banners for BBC Cardiff Singer of the World I thought the claim was uncharacteristically boastful and exaggerated of the Welsh. The U.S. claims World titles for many of its internal contests and I was wary of how a competition could make such a declaration-- especially a competition of which I had never heard.

Was I wrong. This singing competition gives young opera singers from all the continents except Antartica (and possibly Africa) a dazzling platform in front of the Welsh and all the premier powers-that-be in the opera world. It is a first-class and truly international showcase and I'm sorry it only takes place every other year.

I know next to nothing about opera, except the general knowledge that it is most often sung in foreign languages and is likely a long night at the theatre. What was marvelous about this event, which took place all last week, was that it was not only open to viewing live at reasonable prices, but was also presented expertly on television. At the end of an evening's competition a half-hour snippet of the night's singers was shown on TV, followed the next night by their performances in full with extraordinarily concise and educated commentary by international experts of opera and voice. The world of opera and the talent in it is deep and I found the whole experience fascinating and making me want more, more. Canada had a representative too, Sasha Djihanian from Montreal, and she sang beautifully.

Also, in a lighter vein, but along the same line, is a TV show called Popstar to Operastar, which is coincidentally or not, also airing for several weeks. Its name pretty well describes what it sets out to do, and it also is a great primer for the ABC's of the opera world.

In a vein even lighter, the hotel I work at had free tickets this week to the tour of the latest finalists of Britain's Got Talent. So, I went to my first non-sporting event at Motorpoint Arena in central Cardiff and had a better night out than I was expecting. Some of the finalists can only be classed as entertainers -- others carry some serious talent.

It's been quite the week for culture. Last Saturday I was passing by the Tabernacle Welsh Baptist Chapel in the city centre where the free Nativity show was presented last Christmas. On this day there were signs outside inviting people in to hear their restored organ in an hour's free concert. It was the first time I was in the church proper and the organ is like nothing I have ever seen or heard before. More classical music with which I am unfamiliar, played beautifully. This church holds services in Welsh on Sundays and this past week, after work, I could  hear the men's choir singing in Welsh as I passed it. I will probably visit it sometime if I can to hear them.

I have just read more about this Chapel and its organ (apparently fixed last fall) online and will definitely need to visit it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment