Wednesday, October 6, 2010

on working street

Third day under my belt as a room attendant at a large international hotel chain in Cardiff.

Today was an easy day, but Monday, with the Ryder Cup lasting an extra day, was quite busy -- and I'm sure today's ease was an exception.

So far I am liking it. I'm sore and tired, but in a good way. Using many muscles I haven't had use for in a long time. The people are quite nice. Working with primarily women from the U.K., Poland, Latvia, Thailand, Morocco and a few other countries I'm not aware of yet.

My pay is a pound more than I thought -- making £6.60/hr -- almost a pound over minimum wage. Our lunches are free and supplied by the hotel's kitchen. So far, even with kitchen rejects, it's been very fine dining. Downside: apparently it is standard practice in the U.K to only get paid monthly. Ouch! We get paid on the third Friday of each month. I should be getting paid for this week in next week's pay, but after that I will be waiting five weeks for the next pay. Double ouch!!

The hotel is in Cardiff's city centre, at the end of one of the major pedestrianized walkways, part of which is known as Working Street. I love that name. I say partly known because streets here have the discomfiting habit of having five names --  with every change in angle the street receives a new moniker.

The section I believe is called Working Street is smack dab in the centre by the Cardiff Market and Hayes Island (a landmark eatery) and there are always construction workers and market workers and delivery people making their way along the granite walkways. People in this city seem to be happy doing whatever their job entails, whether it's sweeping the street or lugging parcels or arranging sweaters in a retail store.

I'm happy to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment