Friday, September 24, 2010

two weeks and two days

I've only been here two weeks but in many ways it seems much longer -- mainly because of the intensity of trying to get so many things going on so many different fronts, and of the relative newness and strangeness.

Yesterday was a good day for things coming to a settling point.

I received confirmation from the letting agent that my application to rent the one-bedroom flat has been approved! Yeah! Double yeah!! I will likely be signing the agreement next week and move-in date is mid-October.

Also, after repeated failures, I was finally able to log into my banking account in Canada from the library. I was afraid I'd have to do telephone banking -- which is OK -- but it's much nicer to be able to see things and move them online. The site kept hanging up on me, but I found an alternate way.

Also found the time to explore my phone plan a little more online. It's quite expensive (I think) to call locally and ridiculously cheap to call N. America. Strange but true!

Excellent news on the issue of the possible costs of my recent health crisis: after searching the National Health site yesterday it sounds as if the treatment I received will be covered!

I've begun the job-search process in earnest and found an excellent site for the hospitality industry and will be sending off resumes today for several positions -- everything from chambermaid to spa reservationist.

And, for some fun this weekend! A former Metro News co-worker from Toronto is in the U.K. on holiday and making a side trip to Cardiff and Liverpool. He will be in the city tomorrow and I will have the chance to show him around.

On Sunday, cheese and more cheese at The Great British Cheese Festival http://www.greatbritishcheesefestival.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment