Monday, September 13, 2010

Hi ya!

I am midway into my fifth day in Cardiff, Wales -- or as the Welsh say: Caerdydd, Cymru.

The idea to move here began four years ago with a press junket to the U.K. during which I fell in love with this country.

Now I'm down to the nitty-gritty of finding accommodations and a job (or jobs) in a tight market.

I have been blessed to have the very gracious hospitality of the Harris' -- Paul, Nicky and Cari -- who have offered me a guest room in their house in nearby Penarth as I get settled. I cannot deny that amid all the excitement and newness I have fleeting episodes of panic.

But mostly, I am feeling optimistic and grateful.

Since my arrival, I have steadily been greeted by people in cafes and shops with 'Hi ya! Are you alright?'

The latter question has made me wonder if I am looking shellshocked or in need of urgent care, as everyone seems genuinely concerned with my condition.

Only this morning have I realized that this seems to be a common usage, similar to our 'how are you?'.

I am good, thanks, but have never been quite sure if I'm 'alright'.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations on the move out there. I'm sure everything will fall into place for you Kathy. Looking forward to reading your adventures. Take care.

    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Rex! Have seen some of your pics on Facebook. All the best!

    ReplyDelete