Wednesday, September 22, 2010

eye casualty

I  thankfully have been blessed with good health for years, and continue to count myself very blessed after the last few days.

Late Monday afternoon I found myself having emergency laser eye surgery in the eye casualty outpatient clinic at the University of Wales. All appears to be well now -- thanks to the miracles of modern medicine and several guardian angels -- though the doctor informed me that if I had waited another two days my retina most likely would have become detached.

Late Saturday night I experienced strange flashes of light when I went to bed and at first thought it was some strange dancing reflection from outside. The next morning I awoke with multiple floaters in my left eye. There was no pain and my eye appeared fine from the outside. The floaters lessened as the day went on, but by Monday they had  returned and I vaguely knew that flashing lights were a symptom of something serious.

I found myself in front of an eyeglass shop in Penarth, where I am staying with my friends, and went in to find out if they did eye tests. The lady there said they didn't, but after hearing my symptoms, said I should be seen that day by someone. I went to an optician she recommended, about a block away, but they didn't seem too concerned and gave me an appointment for Wednesday.

After a quick trip to the library I realized the situation was serious http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/retinal-detachment/DS00254 and returned to the first lady to see if there was someone else in town with whom I could get an appointment. She called another optician who saw me immediately and who then set me up to go to the eye casualty clinic at the University of Wales hospital in Cardiff. This was shortly after 3 p.m. and they wanted me to be there -- clear across town -- by 4 p.m.

Nicky, my hostess, and whom I hope to call a friend, was able to pick me up and get me there with moments to spare. By 5:15 I had undergone a 10-minute laser treatment that 'welded' the retinal tear in my eye.

No pain, no eyepatch, no dark glasses, no restrictions whatsoever: a followup appointment next week and a warning that if I saw 'curtain' coming up on my eye to get in immediately.

I went in again yesterday as I was still experiencing some strange light (though static and not flashing). Another doctor checked me out, said everything was healing well, and that what I was seeing was the location of the original tear.

Yesterday morning I went and thanked the guardian angels in Penarth who came to my aid so easily and quickly.

Not sure what this is going to cost me monetarily. I've landed in the grey zone: haven't applied to register with a doctor yet (was waiting for a permanent address) and haven't begun working, so I am fairly certain I'm not covered. I had to pay £20 for the original eye test; no mention of coverage or billing from the hospital yet and I'm not going to ask. I may get something after the followup test, or in the mail.

The doctors here don't call themselves 'Dr.' and don't wear lab coats. Rather disconcerting. The opthalamogist who 'welded' my eye goes by 'Mr.' Gareth Lewis.

Nicky says if they called themselves Dr. or wore lab coats here, people would think it was pretentious. Perhaps, but I find the lab coats and title rather comforting. But thank God for Mr. Lewis' skill with a laser.

No comments:

Post a Comment